Branch Lost and Found
If you have lost your cat please contact us by telephoning 07754 164882, with information about your cat and your contact details. You can also contact us by email with details of your cat.
If your cat has gone wandering, there are a number of things you can do to help find him:
- The first thing to do is to check your home thoroughly. Check your garden and outbuildings, including under bushes, and inside and behind sheds and garages.
- Create a poster advertising the fact that he is lost. Distribute posters through all your neighbours doors, or walk around and knock on them.
- If he is in unfamiliar territory and disorientated, it may help him find his way home if he can smell a familiar scent. If he uses a litter tray, scatter some used litter in the garden. Cat urine has a very powerful scent and it will travel a long way. If you don't have any litter, hang out something that smells of him or of you, e.g. his bed/blanket, the sheets from your bed, your dressing gown, etc. It may seem odd to hang out laundry before it's washed, but it might just help.
- Sometimes a cat may be hiding in a shed etc and not coming when you call so you are unaware they are there. If you have a digital camera, take random photo's in the dark as the cats eyes reflect with the flash and you will see them in the photo's.
- Northsound radio will usually read out an appeal for you, as will most other local radio stations. To register your appeal, go to Northsound Radio's website or phone 01224 337000.
- Your local paper will print a Lost & Found advert for you (although they will probably charge for it). To place your ad, go to the Press and Journal website or phone 01224 691212
There are also a number of other places that you can contact:
- Mrs Murray's Cat & Dog Home: 01224 483624
- Scottish SPCA: 03000 999 999
- PDSA: 01224 632042
- Pet Search: 01224 734134
And of course, don't forget to let Cats Protection know by calling 07754 164882. Please note that this is a message service, i.e. please leave a message on the voicemail and someone will call you back. The voicemail is checked every day and calls are generally returned that evening. You can also report a lost cat by sending us an email with details of your cat, and your contact number.
Finally, if you fear the worst, the Council's Cleansing Department are responsible for collecting any road traffic victims or other unfortunates. To contact Aberdeen City Cleansing Department, telephone 08456 080919. For Aberdeenshire Council, phone 07626 904181. The councils generally keep fairly good records of any animals they collect and normally scan for microchips.
If you have found a cat that you believe to be stray or lost, please phone Cats Protection on 07754 164882 with details of the cat and also your contact telephone number.
Please check with neighbours to see if the cat maybe belongs to them. If the cat does appear to be lost we will provide a collar with our details to attach to the cat.
If you or someone you know might be interested in offering the cat a home, please discuss this with the Lost & Found Officer when you call on 07754 164882.